Sunday, October 23, 2016

Another End Grain Cutting Board

I don't know why I decided to do another cutting board. The last one took lots of time and the lumber alone for this one cost $40. I just had the itch, I guess. Maybe I'm a masochist also. This wood is cherry and maple with some nice, dark walnut on the sides.



This time I tried using my CNC machine as a planer. It worked remarkably well! This picture was taken from the CNC webcam I set up so I can monitor the machine from my computer or tablet. The picture quality is okay and it allows me to get stuff done while I gawk at the machining process.


After planing, it's back to cutting on my updated table saw (a flea market find and much improved/safer than the old one), flipping pieces around, and gluing again. I had hoped for a larger board, but had a few cutting problems that results in some pieces being unusable.

In this picture, the final glue-up is complete and the board is ready to be planed for the final time. Because it's end-grain, a normal planer won't safely work. Last time I belt-sanded for hours. This time it only took a half hour on the belt after the CNC pass.


Finally, it's finishing oil and complete! I love this step because it's quick and the wood turns even more beautiful. I haven't decided if I want to keep it or find a way to sell it to support future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment