Sunday, June 25, 2017

CNC Drawing with Markers

Last week, my wife bought some poster board and stencil to create signs for an HOA event. With the success of the recent drag bit boot, I thought I could quickly modify the design to hold a permanent marker instead. 5 minutes later, I had my experiment up and running on index cards.


With that success, we designed a fun, simple sign for the HOA.






We also did a separate sign with the date and hours so this sign could be reused each year. These were a lot of fun to do and worked out much better than stencils would have. I'm not sure how economic permanent markers are as an ink source, but for occasional use it's fast and easy.

3 comments:

  1. that's a cool application of the dragbit approach. And they look nice, too! Can you piece together smaller components to a larger overall whole (IE can you make a composite poster with 6 smaller posterboards so you can have a HUGE poster that can be seen from the street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can do that very easily, even with a single, continuous picture. For this, we had a 2nd posterboard that just had the date and hours, but we could have done just a single, large graphic.

    I'd like to do a real pen plotter that account for non-level surfaces. It's something I plan to work on someday, but this suddenly became urgent so I slapped it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now get an exacto-knife-bit on there and make me some really tiny stencils for miniature paint detailing.

    ReplyDelete