Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ravioli Rolling Pin

For Christmas, I made my wife a ravioli rolling pin. Amazon sells a few different types of these, but most don't work well because the space between individual ravioli is too narrow and doesn't adhere well. I spotted a Kickstarter project for a deluxe version some time ago that looked much better. The project description even included dimensions, making it easier to adapt the design for my 4th axis.

I started by gluing a couple pieces of maple together and roughly rounding them out so they'd fit on my CNC.


I used the CNC to cut it perfectly round, then added measured grooves with a large, round bit.



A flat-bottomed bit was used to create divets on four sides, then I hand-cut some strips to fit in. Each strip is 3/4" wide, which provides plenty of separation for the ravioli. I had originally planned to use a dark walnut here for contrast, but ended up going with cherry because I already had scrap pieces on hand.


A final pass on the CNC was used to level the strips and round everything out again.



After applying some food-safe seasoning oil, the wood really pops. It looks great.


Our first round of paste was a little messy (too much filling!), but turned out well. Lots of fun and easy to use!

1 comment:

  1. looks awesome and delicious! Love those kinds of projects!

    ReplyDelete