Friday, May 29, 2020

3-D Layered Puzzles

I recently ran across a "multi-layer transparent puzzles" Kickstarter project that looked fantastic. The idea looked fun and the creator even provided instructions on how to make your own, so I did just that.


The first step was choosing a design and slicing it up among three separate layers. This took longer than I thought, but resulted in a unique design with a fantastic aesthetic.


I laser cut these out of clear and red acrylic. The pieces combine into three separate puzzles. Separately, the layers appear chaotic. The puzzle is rather challenging (it's difficult to gauge how challenging the puzzle will be while designing). If I do another, I'll probably use fewer pieces and I'll definitely avoid any nearly-symmetric pieces, since it's hard to know if a piece is flipped when it almost fits both ways.


Once stacked on each other, the full design emerges. It's a beautiful effect and sits nicely on my desk until I decide to challenge jumble the pieces and puzzle it together anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment