Sunday, March 29, 2020

Pong Arcade Clock

A Pong clock is something I've wanted to make for around a decade. It's a fun Pong demo of two computer player competing. The right player scores every minute, while the left player scores only once an hour. The score tells the current time.

Most variations of the idea feature stiff, unrealistic computer players. They perfect track the ball constantly except when they intend to miss, at which point they avoid it almost to the point of comedy. I spent time watching human players compete in the game and taking notes how how they behaved. Humans overcompensate, estimate and err about where the ball will land, and tend to overshoot when they eventually miss.



I designed a PCB, milled it on my CNC machine, and attached it to an LCD. Incidentally, that's the same display from the old Nokia 5510 phones. They still make these in China where they're cheap and very energy efficient. I would have liked a color display, but the power draw wouldn't support a constantly running clock.


For the enclosure, I designed a miniature arcade cabinet using Fusion 360 and 3d printed it. It took a long time to design to satisfaction, but the aesthetic is totally worth it. It really brings the clock together in a fun way.


Of course, you can't build just one. Most of the work was in the design, so assembling a second one didn't take long.


For added fun, I included some playable games based on Nintendo's Game & Watch series from the 1980s, one of which I owned as a child (thanks, Mom and Dad!). I've recreated both Ball and Vermin as playable games on the miniature arcade. Check out the pong clock and the games in the video below.

1 comment: